Who should take this course?
The PADI Basic Freediver course is a subset of the PADI Freediver course. It’s a great first step for developing solid freediving skills. You learn basic freediving principles and focus on practicing breathhold techniques in a pool or confined water site.
To enroll in a PADI Basic Freediver course you must be 12 years old or older. You need adequate swimming skills and need to be in good physical health. No prior experience with snorkeling, skin diving or freediving is required.
Younger than 12? 8 year olds and older can enroll in the PADI Skin Diver course.
What will you learn?
The PADI Basic Freediver course consists of two main phases:
- Knowledge development through independent study with the PADI Freediver Touch.
- Confined water session to learn breathhold techniques as well as static and dynamic apnea, plus proper buddy procedures. Goal – static apnea of 90 seconds and dynamic apnea of 25 metres/80 feet.
How can you start learning now?
Contact us to sign up for your level and then get the PADI Freediver Touch tablet app. The Touch is an interactive study tool that gives you the background information you need to freedive safely and allows you to study at your own pace. You will only buy this one time!
What freediving gear will you use?
In the PADI Basic Freediver course, you learn to use a mask, snorkel and fins, and may also use a wetsuit and weight belt. Using gear designed specifically for freediving is best, however, in this course, you may be able to use snorkeling equipment you already own.
Learn to progressively go farther and stay longer on one breath:
- Enroll in a PADI Basic Freediver or PADI Freediver course today!
- Get the PADI Freediver Touch today!
- Download a PADI Freediver Medical History Form (pdf).
- Browse the PADI Freediver Program FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)